- Minister for Forests & Environment, Sports and Cinema, Govt. of Kerala from 18th May 2011.
- Hat-trick win from Pathanapuram in the 2011 Kerala Assembly Election
- Victory margin : 20,402 votes
- Political Party : Kerala Congress(B)
- Opponent : K Rajagopal of CPM
2006 – 2011
- Re-elected from Pathanapuram in 2006 with an increased margin of votes, despite the clear wave in favour of the CPI(M) – led Left Democratic Front (LDF).
- Political party - Kerala Congress (B)
- Only UDF winner from Kollam district
- Victory margin: 11,814 votes
- Opponent – K R Chandramohan of the CPI
- Only film actor in the State Assembly
- First elected to the Kerala Legislature in 2001 from the Pathanapuram constituency in Kollam district.
- Political party – Kerala Congress (B), a constituent of the Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF)
- Election Symbol - Aeroplane
- Victory margin – 9,931 votes
- Opponent – K Prakash Babu of the Communist Party of India (CPI)
- Ganesh Kumar wrested the seat from the CPI, becoming the first Malayalam film actor to win a seat in the State Legislature. (Today he remains the only actor to have made a debut in the Kerala Assembly.)
- This was the first and only time in the history of Kerala that a father and son were both elected to the State Assembly.
- R. Balakrishna Pillai, the illustrious father of Ganesh Kumar, was re-elected from Kottarakkara, a constituency which he had represented and nurtured for decades.
- Became Minister for Surface Transport at the age of 34 and held office for two years before resigning to facilitate his father’s entry into the State cabinet.
- Turned around the ailing KSRTC (Kerala State Road Transport Corporation) in record time.
- Introduced many reforms in the transport sector.
- Earned a reputation for providing a clean and efficient administration.
- Executed development works to the tune of 78 crores in his home constituency.